Call for Applications: Media and Journalism Days in Africa 2020admin May 1, 2020 0 COMMENTS
Deadline: 20 May 2020
The Media and Journalism Days in Africa is a project led by Africa 21 and its partners aimed at annually convening journalists from the African continent, alongside experts from international Geneva and around the world, to review, exchange and debate on a selected theme related to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The first edition took place in 2019 on the theme of climate change with journalists from French-speaking Africa, with a follow up edition in 2020 covering the same theme with journalists from English-speaking Africa. Our objectives are two-fold. The event will strengthen the skills of journalists invited on this topic, offering participating journalists the opportunity to share their realities with the public and international experts. In addition, the event will integrate the Network of African journalists specializing in sustainable development and climate change, in order to create a strong link between international Geneva and the African media.
The 2020 edition of the ‘Media and Journalism Days in Africa’ engages Journalists from Anglophone Africa to:
- Raise awareness among African media on the 2030 Agenda, international Geneva and environmental and climate issues so that these subjects are adequately followed in the participating media;
- Renew the appeal of international Geneva to the English-speaking African media by establishing a connection between African journalists and organizations in international Geneva;
- Highlight to international Geneva, the realities, challenges and opportunities facing African Journalists, with a particular focus on the realities facing the participating Journalists
- Expand the Network of African journalists specializing in sustainable development and climate change.
Africa 21 and partners cover all travel related and subsistence costs for Journalists attending the MJDA in Geneva, this includes travel allowance, flight ticket, on-site transport, hotel and allowances for food costs on site.
Participating Journalists must meet the following criteria :
- Current Professional Journalist for the written press, radio or TV (press card);
- Poses at least 5 years of professional experience in media;
- Must be active in the field as well as in the newsroom;
- Interest or specialization in sustainable development and climate change issues;
- Valid passport until December 31, 2020 at least and availability to travel to participate in the MJDA event;
- Female candidates strongly encouraged;
- Eligible countries: Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information website